A flooded house is always a disaster, and can be very devastating to any owner.
Residents of Queens, NY are no strangers to this problem which can be due to high tide, extreme weather, and water from fire-fighting or ruptured water mains. When your house is flooded, you want to ensure proper, safe and efficient flood cleanup in Queens or anywhere you may be for that matter. Some people will call for help (which is definitely the best thing to do) but others will try to handle the situation on their own (which is fine as long as you know what you are doing and have the proper equipment).
For those who may be facing a flooding problem, here are some essential things to keep in mind.
- Inform your insurance company about the incident as soon as possible. List all the damages and take pictures or videos as evidence.
- Shut off any water supply to avoid further flooding.
- Safely turn off the main electricity supply to avoid risks for electrocution.
- Use pails or buckets and towels or mops to get rid of standing water. Never use your vacuum cleaner!
- Open doors and windows to facilitate air circulation and hasten the drying process.
- Do not attempt to enter any flooded area especially if there is a high possibility that the water is contaminated.
- If entering a flooded area cannot be avoided, always use personal protective equipment such as gloves, work boots, masks and the like.
- Remove valuable items from the affected area and take them to a safe, dry place.
- Take out furniture, carpets, rugs, upholstery, beddings and other similar items to let them dry as soon as possible. You can use a dehumidifier to facilitate the drying process. When cleaning these items, make sure to use quality cleaning solutions to ensure that bacteria and other microorganisms are completely eliminated so as not to expose yourself and family to health risks.
- Do not leave furniture directly on a wet carpet as this may cause staining. To avoid this, you can place aluminum foil or plastic saucers underneath the furniture legs.
Afteryour flood cleanup in Queens, never attempt to repair damaged parts of the building or repaint surfaces without ensuring that everything is completely dry. Failing to do so will only lead to further problems such as buckling or peeling of paint and mold and mildew formation. Then, make sure that whatever structural damage there is should be fixed before you start redecorating so that you will not waste resources.
There is nothing wrong with doing your own flood cleanup or restoration as long as you know what you are doing, employ safety measure and have the right equipment and tools to accomplish the job properly. As for those who may not have any idea as to the proper processes involved in a water damage restoration and repair, you can always send us a message or give us a call. Our team will handle the job for you. We cater to several areas in New York. So if you live in Queens, Brooklyn or Manhattan, water damage restoration service is just a call away.