Water damage is one of the most common disasters for both residential and commercial properties all across the United States. Not only is this disastrous for your belongings and the structure itself but can eventually lead to growth of mold and mildew, and pose health risks in the process. If you find your area to be invaded by inches of water, it is highly advised to call up professionals for your flood cleanup in Queens immediately. A flood is a huge problem in itself, but it becomes even worse if you don’t get rid of the water as soon as possible.
Once you have called professionals for your water damage restoration and cleanup, you might be wondering what you should be doing while you wait for them to arrive. Below are a few steps you can take to minimize the damage and not waste precious time:
- Shut Off Water and Electricity Supply: One of the first things you need to do, especially if the flood is due to a damaged pipeline, is to turn off the main water supply as well as the main electricity line immediately. If electricity supply has not yet been turned off, avoid entering any room with pools of water to avoid the risk of electrocution. Once the electricity has been turned off, you may mop the area but avoid using vacuum cleaners or other electrical tools in removing standing water.
- Watch Your Step: Try to avoid entering flooded areas, more so if the flooding is due to heavy downpour of rain or any other outdoor water sources as this may be exposed to sewage and be contaminated with microorganisms. Nevertheless, if you do have to enter a flooded room, wear personal protective equipment such as high boots (or wrap your shoes in plastic bags) and eye shield, and then leave them in the room once you are done to avoid contaminating other areas of your property.
- Air Circulation: You want air to circulate as this helps hasten the drying process – simply open your doors and windows. It is best not to turn on any fans unless you are absolutely sure that there is no electrical problem.
- Transfer Saturated Items: If any of your possessions such as clothing, bedding, and rugs are soaked, then transfer these items into large containers, the bathtub, or the garage. Using a pair of gloves, take these items out so that they will not soil and cause staining of the floor or other wooden furniture.
- Throw Out Exposed Items: For items that have been exposed to contaminated water or have already developed molds, dispose of them for health reasons. If you are unsure whether items can be salvaged, wait for the professionals to arrive since they can determine which items can still be saved. Most porous items such as wooden kitchenware are less likely to be salvageable.
While waiting for professional flood cleanup experts, these simple tips will help minimize damage to your property. And as for those who are faced with a flooding problem, our team at New York City Flood Damage can do your restoration and flood cleanup in Queens. Our company has over 25 years of experience, and we can ensure you that we will get the job done right. Whether you have water damaged walls or a flooded basement, we are fully licensed and equipped to deal with water damages, mold remediation, and other hazards. We understand how stressful this situation can be, so give us a call at 347-329-2055, and we will take the burden off your shoulders.