If you have encountered flood damage in New York caused by falling water, water system malfunction, and ground water among others, then there are some things you can do in order to avoid further damage. Within the first 24 hours of the flood, it is important to work as quickly as possible to ensure the safety of your home and family. Water damage restoration can give you the best possible outcome so that your home can go back to its original condition immediately and save your possessions as well.
Below are a few things you can do right after you have experienced flood damage in New York:
- Avoid Additional Damage: If the flood was serious, it is important to check if there are structural damages such as loose or cracked foundation elements, holes, warping, and sewer line damages. Make sure to turn off all water and electrical sources, and have a good flashlight in hand so that you can clearly see what you are doing. It is best to go to your fuse box and turn off the main connections. This way, if the power comes back, you will avoid the risk of electrocution.
- Secure the Area: As the homeowner, one must secure the area to avoid any other damage. If there are broken windows, one can place boards or a tarp to cover it up for temporary protection. Check for structural damages as well. If your house looks like it is about to fall apart, take precautions to keep you and your family safe from any harm. If the room is too dark to move around, have a good light source such as a flashlight or headlamp. Move to a temporary location where you can be safe while you let professionals fix your home through water damage restoration.
- Check If You Are in a Disaster Area: If your region has been declared as a disaster area by government authorities, homeowners are provided access to resources such as public services and financial assistance. Maximize the use of these services to provide the most comfort available your family and loved ones for the time being.
- Protect Your Health: Regardless of how clean the water may seem, you never know if the water is contaminated by bacteria or other toxic materials. So avoid getting into any pool of water, and make sure to boil water for drinking. Moreover, throw out any food that might have come in contact with the water. It is also recommended to wear proper clothing such as waterproof boots, waders, gloves, and the like.
- Document the Damage: Before you remove water or call professionals for your repairs, taking pictures or recording a video can help document the damage. These files can easily be stored electronically and can be copied for future use. This way, you have a record of the previous damages at home that can be referred to in future home repairs and improvements or also be used for your insurance claim.
Once you have taken these precautions, you may proceed to hiring a professional to do your water damage restoration in New York. Our team at New York City Flood Damage has been offering flood cleanup and restoration for over 25 years. Whether you have a flooded basement or water damaged walls, we are licensed and fully equipped to deal with your damages, mold remediation, asbestos, and other hazards. We offer quick response services to get your property back to normal as soon as possible. For more information, do not hesitate to call us at 347-329-2055.